POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Caldera : Re: Caldera Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:32:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Caldera
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 3 Jul 2008 06:19:12
Message: <486ca7a0$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote in message

> "Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
>> inspired by a piece on the Valles Caldera National Preserve I saw on the
>> PBS show "Desert Speaks"
>>
> Nice idea! Perhaps you could emphasize the rather circular shape of the
> caldera. As it is now, it could be any mountain lake, as it looks
> elongated.

ah yes ..... no matter how I tried to position the 3 overlapping height
fields I was unable to get the lake to be as round as I wanted.

> The clouds are an excellent idea, especially to give some measure of size
> and proportions. However, you could also underscore that with some
> vegetation perhaps...

I was struggling with the depth and size cues of the caldera itself until
(by accident) I made a typo on the y axis position of the cloud bank.
Positioning it just below the height of the adjacent peak sold that idea. As
for the vegetation I had two types a cacti one a wings object the other an
iso_surface and scaling was an issue ..... they ended up so small that they
became moot. I toyed with the idea of having a couple of cacti close to the
camera but that didn't pan out ..... objects are easy, scenes are a bit more
of a challenge. I have no artist training whatsoever  so sometimes I
struggle with the most basic concepts. I didn't "get" the depth cue idea
until you commented on one of my scenes awhile ago ..... so thanks for the
feedback

Jim